Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Metrosexual Man!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an ad today for a men's fairness cream from Shahnaz Hussain. Yes, you read it right, it's not a men's shaving cream but a fairness cream! The ad was the only dampener while watching the India-Pak match today. As such, every Caucasian in this world is going to roll on the floor laughing if we debate whether who's fairer- Kamal Haasan or Shah Rukh Khan. Worse is the countless number of womens' fairness creams that promise fairer Kareena Kapoor kind of complexion in one tube. But,worst is this- Surya and Shahrukh Khan campaigning for fairness creams!!!!!!! Whatever happened to the age ol' romantic girls' fantasy about tall, DARK and handsome hunks who'd spend the morning cutting vegetables or read the papers rather than layer their faces with fairness creams, moisturizer,sunscreen and toner?(And if I'm, wrong with the layering order, forgive me-am not too dexterous with the art of making up. I'll ask my men friends about it).
There was this odd looking guy in a PTC bus I took to the Mount road,the other day. He was trying every other antic to gain attention from a bevy of b'ful girls. Much to his chagrin, the girls only gave him a look of sympathy. FOR, he was bejeweled all over- ear studs, jerkins that'd be of use in a wintry Siberia, miniature cycle chains on his wrists, maattu sangli's dangling around his neck with pendants the size of his wallet. I couldn't help but sympathize with him for his wooing efforts.
Why don't men remain men?!!!!

Forget all this, my neighbour gave me an eyeliner pencil for this Navaratri-am still wondering what to do with it! I do really want to use it. I googled, watched a video that showed the technique. I swear half the pencil lies in the form of wooden shavings,in the dustbin- thanks to my attempts.. I'm still trying!! My living room stands testimony to such earlier attempts with a lipstick- only difference is, I tried it on the wall! My house was being painted and I thought it'd be a good idea to use up the lipstick. The painter flew off the handle saying the dye was not coming off. Mom followed suit... After some 5 coats of paint, my attempt at vandalism still remains. Every rainy season, the writings on the wall appear clearer.
And finally, if you are wondering what I kirukkified on the wall, it's

"I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU, WHEN THE RAIN STARTS TO POUR
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU LIKE I HAVE BEEN BEFORE"

Poetic justice, they call it!

4 comments:

Arun Sundar said...

Maybe they would have thought of it as a better marketing strategy by having shahrukh or surya come for fairness cream ads, thereby girls might see the ad, maybe twice....and moreover, i reckon it is "Fair and Handsome" cream that the ad is for...Btw, Shouldn't Men make them up for sure? Its more up to the individual i guess...

deepa said...

i don get it, wy'd a girl want to see a mens' fairness cream ad???

Arun Sundar said...

I mean, when i sparse thru TV channels, I might probably stop for a second and see "Fair and Lovely" ad, even if I know that am not gonna buy it(for myself!)....the reason for my stop is either for the star in the ad or maybe to buy/suggest the cream to my friend or my sister....;) The same logic, I guess applies to Fair and Handsome ad as well, I guess..

deepa said...

hmm... tht sounds plausible!!