Friday, September 14, 2007

To Kill a Mocking Bird!

I asked myself repeatedly how I could have missed this book for so long! Yes, that's exactly how I felt when I finished reading 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'. In fact, I now feel like appealing to the CBSE to introduce it in their syllabus in middle school. The atrocities of the racist western world narrated by a child not more than 8 years old- it cannot be told more effectively! Jean Louise 'Scout' Finch is unarguably the best heroine in my opinion... The innocence of the child and her own interpretations of certain happenings, humanity that rises in mankind when least influenced by society- Harper Lee is awesome at bringing these ideas afore! My greatest regret is that the lady has never written another book...
I can very well relate my own childhood with that of Scout's- I still remember talking in hushed tones about supposed thieves and later, frightful personalities lurking in less populated spots in my primary school, a sense of equality, petty skirmishes and arguments ranging from who could sharpen pencils to the sharpest degree to who had the best chess set- when we didn't even know how to play the game!
Guess the book brings about such reminiscence in all its readers..
Am itching to see the movie which looks really promising in wikipedia with Gregory Peck starring as Atticus Finch and Robert Duvall as Boo Radley!!!

2 comments:

Arun Sundar said...

The movie is a "must-watch"..And in the book, I loved the parts where Harper Lee describes the summer-time and that too, when Dill comes in...and I identified myself very much with Jem...Am sure every reader would think they had a similar childhood..!!

deepa said...

yup!! n still yet to watch the movie even though i ve it downloaded...