Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My second innings with Music!

Like any other Brahmin girl, I was also sent to 'Paattu class' when I was in school. What with every one in the family taking up carnatic music damn seriously!! Somehow, I never stuck to a single teacher. We shifted pretty often. And I ended up learning the same 'Sarali varisai' and 'Jantai varisai' again and again and again! For years together! Finally, I just got bored with the ordeal and quit at the age of 12 or 13 after learning a few varnams and keerthanais. The decision was met with stiff resistance from most of my family; to them,it was strange not to learn music!!!
Days went by... Maths tuitions during high school began eating up my free time. So, I couldn't spend much time thinking of music except when my paatti and aunts would brood over my 'hasty decision'. Every vacation when I went to my paatti's with my cousins, she'd make every cousin sing in the evenings. And I'd watch the kutcheri silently!
Entered college and somehow Shantha maami made me listen to some music and this time, I found some kind of a passion in me. I badly wanted to get back to it but I had taken too long a break and my vocal chords refused to coordinate with my desire. I now wish I had not discontinued those music classes! I did try to learn from Maami but it wouldn't work. Anyway, am now content listening to it rather than singing; and trying to learn and identify ragams!!!

No comments: