Friday, August 03, 2007

Snippets!

It's been quite a while since I have posted! Well, even if it sounds stunning, time is scarce now because I have found a temporary job to keep me occupied! Someday,maybe after a month I might want to post on Madras... Am beginning to love the loooong bus ride from K.K.Nagar terminus to Broadway! I can almost see that queer look on your face when you think I should be nuts to claim that I enjoy a bus ride at 8 in the morning in 17D or 11G! But I tell you it's worth it. I see a fair cross section of people from all walks of life-from young employees talking non stop over their cell phones,Dental and Medical students of MMC to the downtrodden who take the same bus to the G.H; an evolution in lifestyles and architecture from old-old British buildings in North Madras to the swanky offices and well-to-do houses in Nungambakkam, tenements jotting all over the banks of the Cooum* river(or whatever is left of it); the commercial hub in Parrys that's always abuzz with activity to the sleepy housing board flats in K.K.Nagar; a gleaming black Benz parked unobtrusively in a corner of Armenian Street; a flurry of black blazers and gowns and the intimidating red structure that is the Chennai High Court. However, there's only one stretch that never fails to draw attention to itself- the Marina Beach that's visible if I choose to take 11H! The exhaustion after a day's work, the crowd, the perspiration stench thats hangs in the bus... nothing seems to bother the commuters when they look at the distant waves!
A ride to Broadway takes you back in time-you see more of Madras than Chennai!

*I remember my cousin's grandfather saying that when he was young, Cooum was clean enough that he had taken a boat ride across it!!!!

No comments: