Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Fountainhead! And Frank Lloyd Wright.


I have finished the job which I had taken earlier this month to beat time. So, am back to surf away all my vetti time!! I have finished reading "The Fountainhead". I wasn't impressed with the book, especially after the exalted expectations with which I started it, thanks to heavy recommendations from Sindhu and Dhivya. I'm only left thinking if the author has done a 'Gallant Gallstone' act on us- you know, Fountainhead is a book that people in intellectual circles talk much about and hence when you don't want to fall out of march, you end up reading it AND, even if the book doesn't impress you, you claim it did, because you have heard that it appeals only to the intellectual!! I couldn't care less! But as always, I did like a few quotes, pages and incidents in the book. Gail Wynand does leave an impression on one...
Anyway, the book did me some good- the book, an article in the Young World and a little research later, I stumbled across information on Frank Lloyd Wright, the real-life architect who inspired the character of Howard Roark- he was chucked out of his university without a degree,designed some of the best buildings in the world, he had an affair with the wife of one of his clients and was arrogant- it all matches!
The FallingWater, a residence in Pennsylvania left a lasting impression on me. It's a house on a waterfall, can you believe that?!!!

1 comment:

Arun Sundar said...

"even if the book doesn't impress you, you claim it did, because you have heard that it appeals only to the intellectual!" - Well said :)